The Onassis Library on Greek & Roman Art at the Metropolitan Museum of NYC

The library of the National Archaeological Museum in Athens

Inside view of the Onassis Library for the Greek & Roman Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art,

Inside view of the Onassis Library for the Greek & Roman Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art,

The library of the Byzantine & Christian Museum in Athens

The library of the National Archaeological Museum in Athens

The Library of the Byzantine & Christian Museum in Athens

The Library of the Byzantine & Christian Museum in Athens

01/8

Libraries
 
THE LIBRARY OF THE BYZANTINE & CRISTIAN MUSEUM
THE LIBRARY OF THE BYZANTINE & CRISTIAN MUSEUM

In 2008 the Foundation approved funding of the renovation and equipment of the Library of the Byzantine and Christian Museum, a project based on the architectural study of architect Konstantinos Staikos. It should be stated that the Museums primary communication with the Foundation was initiated by the eminent professor Dimitris Konstantios, predecessor of the current director of the Museum Dr Eugenia Chalkia, who sadly passed away on February 16, 2010. The renovation of the Library has been completed and the inauguration of the new space took place on the 28th of April, 2011.

The Library of the Byzantine and Christian Museum specializes in Byzantine Archaeology and Art. There are about 10,800 books and 280 magazines that are categorized by subject.

The Library is mainly intended for use by the scientific staff of the Museum but it is also available to Byzantine studies researchers and students. Due to the nature of its content, the Library is not public and therefore, book borrowing is not possible. Its premises have a housing capability of up to ten readers.

The Library of the Byzantine and Christian Museum has been gradually formed since 1914. It was significantly enlarged with the addition of the Christian Archaeological Societys collection of books that were donated to the Museum in 1923 by George Labakis, the first secretary of the Society. Also important was the contribution of Georgios Sotiriou, the first Director of the Museum (1923-1960), with regard to the number and content of the books that added to the Library. Since then, the Museum enriches the Library mostly with purchases but also with exchanges of books with other Museums, scientific Foundations, international institutions and others.

Also important was the recent decision to form the first core of books dedicated to Museology, made available to the scientific personnel of the Museum, students and museum specialists.   

The donation to the Museum of the personal collection of byzantinologist Maria Theohari in 2009 enriched the Library by 2,000 extra volumes.

For further information on the library, please visit its website.

scrollup scrolldown

Close X
Email a friend